Taylor Tomlinson ON: The Quarter-Life Crisis & How to Let Go of Toxic Relationships
Do you want to meditate daily with me? Go to go.calm.com/onpurpose to get 40% off a Calm Premium Membership. Experience the Daily Jay. Only on Calm
Jay Shetty talks to Taylor Tomlinson about why sometimes it’s okay to shift your focus on something else. Dropping out of college doesn’t really mean you’re wasting your time away. In some cases, people have found success and multiple achievements after they decided to pursue something else. These pivotal moments come and go in the most unexpected ways so we all need to learn how to spot them and seize the opportunity right away.
Taylor Tomlinson began performing comedy when she was 16, after her father signed her up for a stand-up class. She became a top 10 finalist on the 9th season of NBC's Last Comic Standing in 2015 and was named one of the top 10 comics to watch by Variety at the 2019 Just For Laughs festival. Her first Netflix standup special, Quarter-Life Crisis, premiered in March, 2020. In 2021, she started her own podcast called Sad in the City and in the same year she was placed on the Forbes' 30 Under 30 list. Now her second standup special, Look at You, is now streaming on Netflix.
Want to be a Jay Shetty Certified Life Coach? Get the Digital Guide and Workbook from Jay Shetty https://jayshettypurpose.com/fb-getting-started-as-a-life-coach-podcast/
What We Discuss:
- 00:00 Intro
- 05:03 Why did he sign you up for a standup class?
- 10:34 Performing on stage is still terrifying
- 18:20 Dropping out of college
- 25:41 It’s really about being confident
- 31:33 Everything happened for a reason
- 40:51 On relationships and working through the issues
- 45:02 That guy who actually cheated
- 50:28 Spend as much time as you need to know yourself
- 01:00:07 The time that people spend alone as adults
- 01:04:53 Getting this moment of peace after performing on stage
- 01:11:22 Being open about your mental health
- 01:17:02 Taylor on Final Five