447: Jonathan Van Ness on Shame, Shopping, Bodies, and Hope
How do you find hope in a lifetime that has experienced more trauma than most?
Guest Jonathan Van Ness says that the key is to stay curious and focus on happiness and joy, even if it’s just in a tiny corner.
Jonathan Van Ness is a hairstylist by trade and best known as one of the hosts of the Netflix series Queer Eye. He is also the author of Love That Story and the New York Times bestselling memoir Over the Top, and the host of the podcast Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness.
In this episode we talk about:
- The universality of processing grief
- What a “window of tolerance” means
- Getting curious about shame
- Body dysmorphia
- JVN’s complex and contradictory feelings about shopping
- What “parts therapy” or Internal Family Systems therapy is
- Setting boundaries
- Connecting and cultivating joy
Content Warning: Explicit language and mentions of sexual abuse, substance amuse, body dysmorphia, and references to sex.
Full Shownotes: https://www.tenpercent.com/podcast-episode/jonathan-van-ness-447